Saturday, 9 January 2016

Lightbox private view







On the 7th January 2016 at 7:00pm I attended the Private View of the ‘Highlights’ exhibition at The Lightbox Gallery in Woking. One of my images from my project ‘I’m Fine’ had been chosen to be shown there along with some of my fellow photography peer’s images.
I was so excited to have my image displayed and so honoured that it was one that got chosen. 
The reason I first started this project was a personal reason, it was something I wanted to do to accept my body and learn to love myself for who I am. I have always been extremely self-conscious and have never liked how I looked. But after seeing a photography project called Imperfection Project by Ayesha Jones I decided to give it a go and photograph myself. It then spiraled in to a big self exploration project and about how people perceive me from the outside and how the media promotes an ideal about the body but also how people are judged by how they look. I wanted to show how when you look at my face, you could not tell I have a disability but I have put my face and my very obvious ‘imperfection’ in one image as if to show people, it isn’t all about how we look!
On the night I became very aware how much I was putting myself out there, and I was scared. The feeling of self-consciousness came back with a vengeance and I was worried about how people would look at my images.
The turn out on the night was amazing, the students and their friends and family turned up to show their support and it was so amazing. I myself didn’t have any family come but to have other peoples parents and family friends come up to me and tell me that they really like my work and admire how brave it is meant so much to me! I think for me it’s always a lot more rewarding when strangers tell you they love your work. I felt so good about myself and my image at the end of the night and its made me so determined to produce something good with this project and hopefully continue it after University to help raise awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment