Friday, 25 March 2016

Artist Research - Kusama's Obliteration Room

I am not entirely sure how I came across this piece of work as I found it a while ago and have only just got around to writing about it unfortunately. But somehow I came across this art installation piece by Yayoi Kusama. The installation involves a large room entirely white, everything had been painted a pure white. Over a few weeks adults and children would go into the room armed with coloured stickers that they could place anywhere. 

The scene starts off as a very plain and basic surrounding and then it ends as a very bright and vibrant, colourful, happy scene. 

To me it is amazing how much colour can bring life to an image. The all white scene just looks very clinical and dull and almost as if all the fun has been sucked out of it. Then to add all the coloured dots it brings it to life. It looks more inviting and seeing the dots makes people want to get involved and doing so makes people happy. This is what I would like to achieve with my project. I feel that when I am just a plain white statue, whoever is first to arrive will possibly be hesitant, unsure of what to do, afraid if marking the perfectly white thing, but then once more and more handprints are added, it will become fun and inviting and people will want to get involved in creating something colourful and hopefully it will make people happy to do it and to be involved.

The photographs for this series is not the final art work, this is not a photography project, they are just documentations of a performance. This is kind of what I want to do for my project also, I want my main focus to be on the performance, but I will still have the imagery as part of it. I cannot do the live performance for my actual final piece so the documentation of the performance will be the finals.









No comments:

Post a Comment